Carpal tunnel syndrome is caused by compression of the median nerve as it passes through the carpal tunnel and under the transverse carpal ligament at the wrist.
What you can do :
- Wear a carpel tunnel splints. Keeping your wrists straight can help relieve the pressure on your median nerve. Symptoms are more common at night, so wearing a splint in the evening may help relieve your symptoms before they start. If you have issues with repetitive tasks at work, you can also wear wrist splints during the day.
- Take breaks from repetitive activities, such as typing or any activity that causes discomfort.
- Stop Flexing. Avoid activities that make your wrists flex to the extreme in either direction to help with your carpel tunnel. Try keeping your wrists neutral as much as possible.
- Elevate your hands. This home remedy is particularly effective if your CTS is caused by pregnancy, fractures, or other issues with fluid retention.
- Add healthy fats into your diet. Salmon, tuna, sardines, and other fatty fish are a rich source of two different kinds of omega-3 fats–DHA and EPA. These fats can help to reduce inflammation and ease the pain of carpal tunnel syndrome. If you don’t like fish and still want these benefits, you can take a fish oil supplement.
EXERCISES TO DO:
- Collect the Joy. Pretend you are grabbing something from the air.
- Spread the Joy. Pretend you are sprinkling something.
- Flicks. Flick with each finger separately.
- Fist fold. Fold a fist with each finger separately.
- Shake your hands. Pretend you just washed your hands and try to shake water off.
STRETCHES TO DO:
- Heart. Place the tips of your fingers together and push your palms towards each other.
- Proposal. Hold on to your fingers while straightening your arm. Pull your fingers toward your body.
- Forearm stretch (optional against the wall). Hold on to your fingers and turn your palms outward .Straighten your arm and then pull your fingers back using your other hand.
- Palms out wrist stretch. Interlock your fingers in front of your chest and and then straighten your arms and then turn the palms of your hands outward.